Common people mostly have fickle minds; they’re always guided by what they wish to believe, often with their advantage. When they’re worried, frightened and clueless about the near future they’re most susceptible to doubt and conspiracy theories. The past six months people all over the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not really much because of the deadly aftereffects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s earned its wake. They desperately have to get back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s simply a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media as always helps it spread-at times faster compared to the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the facts that over 80 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that typically the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for some countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and everyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US that we won’t make an explanation here just to stop vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here that writer got a social media forward giving a link to a write-up by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. As we mentioned earlier a lot of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other when compared to a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that only a’annual influenza’has been labeled as a pandemic and he wanted action against the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a sequence of reactions in their state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections as opposed to destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory breaks down at the basic premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon should be occurring each year, and why then in 2010 must certanly be so different! Governments need not have gone on a crisis drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds simply to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some that we narrate below as arguments to break such forms of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring a lot of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) when it comes to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the nation remains fearing a second outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to stop its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million up to now and remains on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a situation of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is always to account fully for a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization carry on telling’lies’that the newest Coronavirus is quite dangerous that could probably stay for more than 2 yrs and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to own accepted in the beginning that pandemic is the greatest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the planet carry on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly even worse compared to the Great Depression? Specifically, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Exactly why is this type of mad rush all over the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the least this kind of intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever that could be.
In the last few days new cases in India have already been rising at nearly 25000 per day with the sole solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being truly a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. As of this crucial juncture we must not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill when it comes to profit. Like, in case a link for a write-up with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets consider the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.Read More